• Thai streetfood

    Thai streetfood

  • Puff pastry cheese sticks

    Puff pastry cheese sticks

  • Fusion curry chicken

    Fusion curry chicken

  • Poppy seed strudel

    Poppy seed strudel

  • Vietnamese sandwich seller

    Vietnamese sandwich seller

Almond at it's finest - my christmas marzipan (selfmade)

Finished marzipan
Finished marzipan
It's Christmas soon. Like every year around this time, I start missing a very special sweet from Germany, the marzipan. I even remember the joy when I was a boy. We used to go shopping for Xmas in a bigger town near my home. And that meant that we will pass by my favorite confectionery shop that had my favorite marzipan. Marzipan is being used in Germany Christmas cakes, cookies and even some liquor recipes. We will get to some of those recipes later. But first of all I needed to find out how to make marzipan without the ingredient rosewater, because marzipan and rosewater is something that is very hard to find over here. So I was quite happy finding this recipe over here that uses almond liquor (Amaretto) to make marzipan. So here we go with the recipe for marzipan:


Ingredients:
  • 250 g almonds
  • 200 g confectioners' sugar
  • 2 Table spoons of almond liquor (Amaretto if you have)
  • 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
Cook your almonds in hot water for about five minutes. Peal the skin off and throw them in your kitchen blender. Blend them very fine and slowly add the sugar, now add the oil and the amaretto to the mix. Now continue to blend everything until you have a homogenous, consistent mass that does not stick to the side of the blender any more but start forming a ball. You just made your own marzipan. Wrap it in airtight and keep it in the fridge.
So, next time I will start to make a Christmas cake with the marzipan, maybe later I will show you a real finger licking delicious liquor recipe with this great stuff...

Grated almonds
Grated almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment